By Adrienne Bracken
- Instead of taking the shuttle or a car downtown or around SHU, walk, bike, scooter or skateboard.
- Exercise with a group or a friend that you know will motivate and support you.
- Be physically active while watching television. This can include things as simple as lifting light weights, jogging in place or doing sit-ups.
- Take small breaks from work to go on a walk or do simple exercises. This not only provides physical activity, but it also lowers the chances of going crazy while doing work.
- Try switching up exercise routines or varying types of physical activity. It will better keep interest in the exercise and will work out different areas of the body.
- Instead of eating fried foods, opt for foods that are baked, steamed or grilled.
- Do not skip meals. Rather, eat well-balanced and appropriately proportioned meals several times throughout the course of the day. Always be sure to eat breakfast as well.
- Drink water instead of soda.
- Eat whole wheat bread products instead of white or bleached ones- they contain a much greater nutritional value and are healthier as a whole.
- Avoid eating late at night. There is not enough time at the end of the day to use the energy from the food eaten before going to bed.