Take the quiz and find out!
1. T F St. Patrick was a slave in Ireland from age 14, when he was captured, to age twenty when he escaped. He returned in his thirties to preach to the Celtic pagans.
2. T F St. Patrick used the shamrock as a symbol for luck.
3. T F St. Patrick originally wore green, hence the tradition of wearing green on St. Patrick’s Day.
4. T F St. Patrick’s day was first celebrated in America in 1737 in Boston, MA.
5. T F Common celebrations for St. Patrick’s Day don’t only include large parades in Dublin and New York; In Chicago they dye the river green for a few hours.
6. T F St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland.
Answers: 1.) T 2.) F- St. Patrick used the shamrock as a symbol for the Holy Trinity. 3.) F- Green is the color of St. Patrick’s Day because of the shamrock; St. Patrick wore blue vestments. 4.) T 5.)T 6.) F- Most scientists believe there were not snakes in Ireland before St. Patrick or after him. The phrase may have metaphorically stood for him driving paganism out of Ireland.
Facts compiled from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/5005127/St-Patricks-Day-Top-10-facts.html